Answers to the most frequent questions regarding studying at the FOM

frauen unterhalten sich im büro oder in der uni

General questions

The FOM University of Applied Sciences offers special English-language Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Arts (M.A.) and Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree courses. For students from China, the FOM also offers cooperative study programmes with Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) qualifications in cooperation with renowned Chinese universities. For students from India, we offer cooperative study programmes with Indian institutions with Master of Science and MBA qualifications. 

Yes. The FOM University of Applied Sciences has been recognised by the Ministry of Science and Research of the Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia since 1993. The principles of state recognition are checked at regular intervals.

More Information

Yes. Because the FOM is officially recognised and institutionally accredited, all qualifications are internationally recognised.


Yes, all of the degree courses offered by the FOM are accredited. They are regularly audited by external experts from the field of science and professional practice with regard to their scientific quality and occupational relevance. 

No, at the FOM University of Applied Sciences there is no limit to the number of student places.

The English-language study programme at the FOM requires evidence of sufficient English skills, such as from a level test according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) at a language level of at least B2. This can be an ILTS (at least 5.5 points), a TOEIC test (at least 860 points), a TOEFL test (internet-based at least 83 points) or a Duolingo test (at least 105 points). Mother-tongue speakers, those who have completed an English-language degree and applicants who can prove they have spent several years living in an English-language country can be exempted from the test. German language skills are not required.   

A one-year German course is stipulated as part of the German-language cooperative programme for students from China. Students should have achieved a language level of at least B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Foreign Languages (CEFR) by the time their period of study in Germany starts.

Of course. The lectures generally take place Monday to Friday, so you can use your time at the weekends as you wish and get to know the country on your own. Recommendations and tips can be obtained on request from the International Office or FOM German-Sino School of Business & Technology.

More information

Yes. As a business-centred university, the FOM has close contacts with major companies and SMEs. You will receive valuable support during excursions as part of your degree course, but also via the FOM Careers Centre. 

More information

The International Office and the German-Sino School of Business & Technology are happy to help with any questions you may have about your degree course and your stay in Germany – in person, over the phone or by email. Directly after your arrival, common questions about everyday life will be answered as part of an information event. For potential international students, there are also free information webinars on various topics.

More information

Student finance

The FOM University of Applied Sciences is a non-profit foundation initiative, which is financed solely by tuition fees. These fully fund research, teaching, administration and infrastructure at the university.

More information

International students who complete a full-time degree course at the FOM can apply for a grant from the 2nd semester, which covers a part of their cost of living expenses. A prerequisite for this is good grades and particularly good commitment. More information on this is available in the first semester directly from the International Office. The DAAD also offers numerous grant options for international students.

Practical questions

Would you like to study at the FOM as a free mover? If so, please send all documents by email to incomings@fom.de. Each individual degree course lists the specific documents required. 

For the bachelor's programme with Chinese universities, admission takes place via the central Gao-Kao test. For the master's courses for Chinese students, the admission requirements are likewise listed under the individual degree courses.

Students of the academic cooperation programme with Indian universities must enrol exclusively at their local university.

International students interested in applying to the FOM as a free mover generally receive a reply and the offer letter no more than two weeks later. The International Office will answer enquiries regarding the status of an application process. Those wishing to study at FOM as part of a cooperation with Chinese and Indian partner universities should apply directly to the university in their home country.

If you come from an EU state, Switzerland or a state in the European Economic Area (EEA) you generally won't need a visa for Germany. If you come from a country outside of Europe, you should apply for a visa as early as possible, as the approval process can take several months.

More information

Yes, the booking of flights is carried out independently. The International Office and the German-Sino School of Business & Technology will be happy to give you recommendations about your destination airports.

You will need health insurance while studying in Germany. You need to take this out yourself. We recommend the German state health insurance.

More information

Unfortunately, FOM University of Applied Sciences cannot provide you with any accommodation. The International Office and student support at the German-Sino School of Business & Technology will be happy to help you in your search for a flat or room.

More information


The Erasmus+ programme allows you to study at the FOM University of Applied Sciences for a period of time during your degree course. Prerequisite: you are enrolled at one of the foreign ERASMUS partner universities in Europe.

More information