Studying and staying in Germany

What you should consider before and during your stay

Absolventenverabschiedung Indien

Get off to the best possible start on your “Foreign adventure”

Comprehensive support from the FOM's International Office

Having a period of study abroad gives you valuable international experience for life. You will learn to view the world from a different perspective and you will adopt intercultural skills. At the same time, this part also presents a challenge. FOM's International Office will be happy to support you beforehand as you organise your stay and while you are studying in Germany.

Visa stamp in passport close-up. German visitor visa at border control. Macro view of Schengen visa for tourism and travel in EU. Document for multiple entry. Legal immigration to Germany and Europe.

Do you need a residence permit for your study visit?

Visa for entering Germany

If you come from an EU member state, Switzerland or a state in the European Economic Area (EEA) you generally won't need a visa for Germany. If you come from another country, you should apply for a visa as early as possible, as the approval process can take several months. You can find out which documents you will require for your visa at the German embassy or consulate in your home country. A list of all German representations abroad can be found at the Federal Foreign Office. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers an overview of the visa application process for international students. If you have questions about the procedure, FOM's International Office will be happy to help you.

Zwei Freundinnen essen Müsli zum Frühstück in der Küche

Your accommodation while studying

Find a place to stay

It is not always easy looking for somewhere to stay. Even before your arrival, the International Office will support you with any questions about your accommodation search. It is important that you start this as soon as possible. In addition to internet portals, the personal environment is also often helpful: the International Office provides contacts with current students as well as FOM alumni who are already in the area and may have an available room in a flat share. The support provided by the International Office also extends to checking rental contracts before they are concluded, if required.

Caucaisan businessman doing his daily work in office. Cheerful man sitting at desk and looking at camera.

Found an accommodation?

Duty to register your place of residence

After arriving in Germany, you must report to the city's foreigners’ registration office and provide them with your address. If you move again during your course of study, you are obliged to report your new address to the relevant municipal office in your city. You can generally make an appointment in advance. The International Office will be happy to help you with this. 

Versicherungskarte liegt auf dem Tisch

Safeguarding your health

Health insurance

You will need valid health insurance while studying in Germany. In addition to the statutory health insurance, there are also private insurances. However, we recommend the statutory health insurance, as it covers inpatient and outpatient treatment – also if you are hoping to do part-time work in Germany. The International Office will be happy to give you a list of providers. At the start of your course of study, you will have to decide which health insurer you would like to register with. This health insurance will then be valid for your whole period of study.

Hochschulzentrum Essen

Learning together, learning from each other

Your degree course in the FOM lecture theatre on the Essen Campus

Learning together in the lecture theatre is a crucial part of a successful study programme. In addition to expert knowledge, you will also be broadening your intercultural skills, making contacts with other international students and discovering more about German culture as well as the city of Essen, where you will be spending this important and formative part of your life.

More Information